Monday, February 18, 2008

Minestone soup that's mmm mmm good!

A few years ago I was craving a good vegetable soup. I looked through the recipes that I had and couldn't find one that fit my mood, so I got out some things from the fridge and the pantry and began inventing. This delicious soup was the creation that I came up with. I quickly scribbled the recipe down and tucked it away into one of my recipe books. Anytime that I am in the mood for a good comforting soup, I reach for this recipe. What amazes me most is that my kids will eat it. In fact, when I made it this evening, my daughter asked if I would make it again tomorrow. Luckily we have a few leftovers.


Minestrone Soup
3 large carrots, sliced
4 stalks of cerey, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 TBS. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp, Italian seasoning
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 zucchini, cut into half moon pieces
1 cup freash baby spinach, chopped
2 TBS. tomato paste
4 cups of water
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed ( I use S&W brand)
1 cup whole grain penne or elbow pasta ( I love the Barrilla Plus)



Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes to soften. Add the italian seasoning, garlic, zucchini and spinach, saute for 1 more minute. Add the tomato paste, water, vegetable broth and white beans. Stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Turn the heat up to a boil and add the pasta cook 10 more or until the pasta is cooked through (penne will take longer than elbows). Top with fresh parmesan cheese and enjoy!




I love to serve the soup with a good french bread. I have a recipe that I love that has a whole grain cereal in the dough which makes it moist when cooked through. Toast the bread slices with a little olive oil and rub with a garlic clove and you have a piece of garlic toast that just can't be beat.

10 Grain French Bread
(Adapted from a Bob's Red Mill recipe)


4 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
2 cups warm water
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs Kosher salt
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill 10-grain cereal
1 egg, beaten
2 TBS italian seasoning
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
In the bowl of a mixer, combine the water, yeast and sugar. Leave to proof for 10 minutes. (The mixture should foam up and smell "yeasty") Add the oil, 3 cups of the flour and the salt. Mix, using the dough hook, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the whole wheat flour and the 10-grain cereal. When well mixed, slowly add the other cup of all purpose flour. Let mix/knead for 10 minutes. Empty dough onto a floured surface and knead a few times to form a smooth dough. Divide the dough in half. Roll out each half into a 13" x 9" rectangle and roll up from long end, like a jelly roll. Pinch seams to seal. Transfer to a greased cookie sheet. Brush tops and sides with beatened egg. Sprinkle the dough with a little salt, the italian seasoning and the cheese. With a sharp knife make slits across the dough. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 25-30 minutes or until browned.

1 comment:

malia said...

can't wait to try it:) thanks.