Monday, September 22, 2008

Cookies in a Jar

Kristen's Food September 2008 015

It's the first day of Fall and that means that the holidays are quickly approaching. I really hate saying that already but I know that I need to start getting prepared. Two of my kids have birthdays near the holidays not to mention 6 of their cousins too. I also host Thanksgiving for about 40 people. There is so much for me to get ready. With all of that gift giving, I am usually really strapped for cash but love to give a few gifts to neighbors and teachers. This is a way to give a thoughtful gift without the huge price tag.

Kristen's Food September 2008 021

There are a ton of recipes for cookies in a jar and this is just another one. I really like this recipe for several reasons. First off, I love oatmeal cookies, and second, it is very versatile, you can change up a few of the components to make different cookies. The results are a chewy chocolaty cookie that in my opinion is better once it has cooled off. ( I really hate hot, gooey chocolate. I know, I am weird!) I have been eating these for the past 3 days and have been rationalizing them as a good breakfast option because they have oatmeal and walnuts; and dark chocolate is full of antioxidants right?!

Kristen's Food September 2008 016

Cookies in a jar

1 1/3 cups oatmeal

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, M&M's or a combination of them

1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

1 1/3 cup flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1. Layer the ingredients in the jar in the order listed, packing each layer down tightly.

2. Make a tag with the following instructions: Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter and cool slightly. Lightly beat together the melted butter with 1 egg and 1tsp vanilla. Add the contents of the jar and mix to combine. The mixture will be really thick. Spoon by heaping tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven while they look a little doughy as they will really firm up after they cool.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies

2 comments:

The Marshall Family said...

Pep thanked me for the cookies the other day, and I had no idea what she was talking about! I told her I wished I could take credit for them! They look yummy.Cookies for breakfast every once and a while is ok, right!

BarraDoce.com.br said...

Hi Kristen,

My name is Fernanda and I´m resposible for BarraDoce Blog (http://blog.barradoce.com.br/). BarraDoce is a brazilian store that sells bakeware. We don´t sell any kind of finished product (like cakes, cupcakes, chocolates), only bakeware and ingredients.

We would like to use yours photos and cookie in jar recipe in our blog, in a post about this new way, for us brazilians, to give cookies as gift. All credits will be given, including links to direct respective origen page. We also have the attention of not using the same text form your blog, which could affect the display in search engines like Google.

http://sweetpeapatisserie.blogspot.com/2008/09/cookies-in-jar.html

Our blog has over 1,000 daily visits, than can generate new visits to your blog, that´s why this post can´t be interesting for you too.

Please, If you have any doubt, contact us. My e-mail is fernanda.shimomoto@barradoce.com.br

We´ll wait your answer by e-mail.

Best Regards,

Fernanda