Monday, July 14, 2008

Caramel Honey Twists

Kristen's Food July 2008 034

This last weekend, my family and I went down to the farmer's market.  I love the atmosphere and all of the booths there.  My husband always jokes and calls me a hippy because I am a vegetarian and love all things home grown.  He can call me what he wants but I still love the farmers market.  I would be there every Saturday if gas were cheaper.  Sometimes I find lots of things that I want to buy and sometimes I just meander through the market sampling all of the wares.  This weekend I made only one purchase, honey.  Now let me tell you that this honey is no ordinary honey.  It is delicious flavored honey.  I bought a two pack that had a bottle of cinnamon honey and my favorite, caramel cream honey.

My kids and I have been using this honey all weekend thinking of different uses.  We ate it on pancakes like syrup Sunday, on some frozen yogurt, my kids even put it on their breakfast cereal, yes, it's that good.  So this morning I used the caramel honey to make some delicious honey-nut twists.  They are so easy, you could use some leftover pizza or bread dough or if your in a hurry use the refrigerated breadstick dough and you have delicious twists in about 20 minutes.

Honey-Nut Twists

Kristen's Food July 2008 035 #2

1/4 cup honey

1 tbs. butter

1/2 cup chopped nuts

bread dough or pkg of refrigerated breadstick dough

1 cup powdered sugar

1/8 tsp. almond extract

2-3 Tbs. milk

1.  Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.  In a small saucepan melt the butter and honey together and then pour into a shallow dish.  Place the chopped nuts into another shallow dish.

2.  If using homemade dough, roll out into a thin rectangle and cut into strips using a pizza cutter.  Dip the breadsticks into the butter and honey mixture and then into the nuts.  Fold in half and twist together and place on baking sheet.

3.  Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove to a cooling rack.  While the breadsticks are baking, make the glaze by mixing together the powdered sugar, almond extract and a few tablespoons of milk.  Add milk until the glaze is thin enough to drizzle.  Drizzle the glaze over the breadsticks and eat while warm.

No comments: