Thursday, June 5, 2008

Rice Crispy Treats Meets Smores

Kristen's Food June 2008 027

Well, it's been another busy day. I always think that I'll have time to get things done and then all of a sudden the day is over. I had plans to make some mint chocolate brownies that I saw on Martha Stewart this weekend but never made it to the store, so those will have to wait for later this week.

I am in charge of some of the youth at my church and for an activity tonight we went letterboxing. If you have never heard of this you should check it out. Basically people all over the country have hidden boxes and they leave clues online at the above website. Usually the boxes contain a stamp, sometimes homemade, and a little book. When you find the box you stamp their stamp into your journal or book and then stamp your stamp into their little book. It's a fun family activity and it is free.

So I needed a quick treat for the activity with what I had on hand. I have had a lot of camping on my mind as I am also in charge of the camp for the youth in a couple of weeks so I guess that's why I thought of smores. I needed a smore that was portable though and what a better way to eat it than on top of a rice crispy treat! These are so quick and easy, I made them in less than 15 minutes, so if you're short on time and need a dressed up snack, give these a try.

Rice Crispy Treat Smores

Kristen's Food June 2008 028 #2

3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)

2 bags (16 oz. each) miniature marshmallows ( half of a bag reserved for topping)

1 tsp vanilla

about 20 cups of rice crispies ( I never actually measured)

8 oz. chocolate chips ( I used miniature chocolate chips)

4 Graham Crackers, broken into bite size pieces

1. Preheat the broiler. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

2. Melt butter and marshmallows and vanilla in a large pot over medium heat, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and add enough of the rice crispies to coat them evenly and lightly with the marshmallows. Spread on to the cookies sheet. (If you wet your hands then you can press the rice crispy treat into the pan evenly without them sticking to your hands).

3. Cover the treats evenly with the reserved marshmallows and then sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips. Place the pan under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the marshmallows are nice and toasty. Watch carefully as they go from toasted to burnt in a matter of seconds. Remove from the oven and sprinkle evenly with the graham cracker crumbs. Set aside and let them cool for about 2 hours. This allows the marshmallows to set back up and makes them easier to cut. Cut the rice crispy treats into squares using a slightly damp knife as this will keep the marshmallows from sticking. Dampen slightly between each cut.

1 comment:

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Great idea! I'm always looking for recipes I can adapt to be dairy/egg/nut free, this looks perfect! I created a Homemade Smore Marshmallow on my site, but this looks a lot easier. I love it when Martha Stewart aspirations meet real life pantry and time constraints. Real life versions are usually as good, and require less clean-up!