Friday, May 2, 2008

Brownies for breakfast?

 Kristen's Food April 2008 100

Ok, Ok, we really didn't have brownies for breakfast, what kind of mom do you think I am?  We did have chocolate chocolate chip waffles though and as I was eating them and receiving praise from all three of my kids I realized that I was feeding my family glorified brownies for breakfast.  At least it got me the title of "best cook ever" and "best mom ever".  I think that feeding my kids something that probably isn't that nutritious for breakfast once in while so that I can receive such praise is worth it.

It has been said that necessity is the mother of all invention and that is what it has felt like in my kitchen lately.  Every time I try to make a recipe lately I seem to be out of some key ingredient.  I set out to follow a recipe for Chocolate Waffles from Alton Brown and realized that I was an ounce short of cocoa powder, which is kind of an important ingredient in chocolate waffles.  I quickly looked through my pantry for a suitable substitution.  I found some unsweetened Baker's chocolate and decided that it would be a suitable substitution but that I would need something to counter balance the extra liquid and lack of dry ingredients.  I added a little cornstarch and some extra four and the waffles came out perfectly.  Now I can't vouch for how close they are to the original but these were definitely delicious.  I also served these waffles with a sweetened sour cream.  I  love to dip my strawberries in sweetened sour cream and so I thought that it would be suitable to put on top of the waffles with the strawberries to balance out the waffles.  It was delicious!

Kristen's Food April 2008 108

Here is the link to Alton's recipe, which I am sure is delicious!

Sweetened Sour Cream

1/4 Cup Sour Cream

1-2 Tbs. powdered sugar

1/4 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together, adding more or less sugar to taste.  Use to dip strawberries or top the waffles.

del.icio.us Tags: ,

1 comment:

The Marshall Family said...

Yummy! I can't wait to have these tomorrow.