I have been needing something chocolatey lately and nothing curbs that chocolate craving like a rich, fudgy brownie. I have been making this fudgy brownie recipe that I found in the Every Day Food magazine for awhile now, but today, I decided to make it even better. Make the cream cheese version and add oreos! now who can resist that?!
As a rule, I always line my brownie pans with foil. I know that some recipes call for parchment paper, but I don't always have that on hand and I have found that foil works just as good (just don't forget to grease the foil). I also, cool the brownies in the pan, then lift them out with the foil and cool in the fridge before cutting. This helps me make a cleaner cut. I have also tripled this recipe when I am serving a big crowd, like family get togethers. With the recipe tripled you can bake it in a sheet pan lined with foil. The cooking time is reduced to about 40 minutes and makes about 40+ good sized brownies.
1 stick of butter
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
8 oz. bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I use the 60% cocoa chocolate chips)
1 1/4 cups sugar
For the cream cheese swirl
4 oz softened cream cheese
2 Tbs. softened butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
20 oreo cookies crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x9 pan with foil or parchment and grease. ( I don't have a 9 x 9 so I have baked this recipe in an 8 x 8 or an 8 x 11.5)
2. Mix the cream cheese ingredients together in the order listed, and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
4. Place butter and chocolate in a large heat proof bowl set over (not touching the water) a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring , until smooth and both butter and chocolate have melted. Remove the bowl from the pan. Add the sugar, mix to combine. Add the eggs;mix to combine. In batches, add the flour mixture and mix until just moistened ( do not overmix). Add half the crushed oreos to the batter.
5. Alternately sppon, chocolate mixture and cream cheese mixture into prepared pan. Swirl with the tip of a paring knife. Sprinkle the top with the remaining oreo cookies.
6. Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool in pan 30 minutes. Lift brownies out of pan using the foil or parchment and cut using a dampened serrated knife.